Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Part Two; Day One

Ganpati / Ganesh Festival


Here are some photos that I promised.  I have to say that I was not in my top form today, mostly due to the jet lag.  Somehow I don't remember being tired during my last trip but perhaps, it is just the first day.  Statues of Ganesh like the one above are everywhere.  Today was the first day and the festival lasts till September 29th.  Unfortunately, I will be heading back on the 27th before the final day.  The opening ceremony was held at Ujwala's home.  We were joined by Walter (head of Barefoot Acupuncturists), Valerie (volunteer from Paris), Alice (volunteer from UK - her last day), Ujwala (Indian partner of Barefoot Acupuncturists), and Ujwala's mother.


We had a small procession with two men in the lead carrying the Ganesh statue.  Ujwala's home is in the slums and we had to walk a small ways through narrow alleys to reach it. I was struck by how much ceremony was placed on this event.  A priest came and went through the ritual of chanting and placing gifts around the statue, items of food, incense, and flowers, mainly marigolds.  Again, the senses were overwhelmed between the scents, visual bright colors, drumming in the background, and later a delicious meal that was prepared by Ujwala and her mother. 
  

There were a group of children that kept us company by the front steps.  They delighted in having their picture taken.


The girls wore pretty little frocks.   I was a bit enchanted with their open gazes and sweet smiles.  I was reminded of a childhood before television and video games.  Days spent outdoors and with all the neighborhood children gathered together and in and out of each other's homes. 


Ujwala's mother was preparing these herbs and flowers to be hung over the Ganesh.  She is an amazing woman and I am sure much like many Indian mothers.  The amount of work she did to prepare for the meals and the festivities was grueling.  Somehow, I cannot see my mother doing the work that she was doing, grinding the coconuts by hand, chapatis individually rolled out and cooked, constant cleaning, etc...  and all done sitting on a cold stone floor.

Ok. I am about to nod off...  Tomorrow is clinic....  See you all soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment