Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Day One! Sept. 2012

Today is my first day.  I arrived here last night at 11:15 and already the festivities for the Ganesh festival have begun.  I could hear the drumming, singing and saw lights like the ones you see at Christmas time strung across a line. 

Honestly, even though it has been over a year since I was last here, it feels like I never left.  Somehow, like time just stopped and perhaps that is a bit of an apt description of this country, even though I am sure that I am about to learn that things are changing. 

It is hot and humid here.  And again the smells, curry, incense, jasmin....  You can smell them immediately when getting off the plane.  Funny thing to be hit with something so familiar and yet you’ve forgotten unless you’re actually standing there.  I have to say though the smells have a new scent and this time it is a all the usual with a bit of muskiness mixed in perhaps from a scattering of rain that was absent in the middle of January. 

I awoke eager this morning.  The sun is bright and my eyes must have been tired because I kept thinking that someone must have turned on some sort of bright outdoor lights right outside my window.  But to discover that it was actually the start of day.  Back home, the morning sun especially as autumn is dawning, is much more reserved. 

Kathryn, is arriving early tomorrow morning at around 4 a.m.  I am excited to be seeing her and show her this country and the people.  I specifically chose this time with one of India’s largest holidays, the Ganesh festival.  I have no idea what is coming but am sure that it is a bit of nothing like I have experienced before and what better time to bring a cherished guest! 

Clinic is not open today as the festivities are beginning.  I am anxious to see everyone as it has been so long.  I’ll be sure to take many pictures and post soon. 

I am very happy to be back.  I was dreading the long plane rides but now that that is behind me I can finally just take that first deep breath and enjoy. 


No comments:

Post a Comment