Thursday, October 29, 2015

Day 2

I have arrived in Sikkim!  Greetings from the Himalayan mountains!

I found that the internet modem doesn't work on my laptop, perhaps because it is not configured for Apple products.  Therefore, I have been borrowing my host family's computer, which works just fine but I'm unable to figure out how to upload pictures from my camera.  I will have to post pictures once I get wireless access again.

It is four in the morning on Friday and I arrived here on Wednesday evening.  It was a short flight from New Delhi to Bagdogra airport on Wednesday afternoon. The airport is very small with one building. You depart and arrive in the one and only gate.  The town of Bagdogra is still part of mainland India.  The cows are wandering in the middle of bustling traffic. The beggars are walking from car to car and the smells are the same.  Still, I love it here and welcome all the imploding cultural infusions of the five senses.

Sanjeeb Garung is my guide. He and his family have become my family even in such a short period of time. Sanjeeb was waiting there at the airport for me.  I had been worried that I wouldn't know how to find him but I needn't worry as he knew how to find me.  Although he had driven four hours to come get me, he was just as happy to turn around and drive the five hours back.

The days are short here.  We had eaten a bit of food, curried lentils and paneer cheese with rotis, flatbreads.  Once we had finished it was 5pm and the sun was already starting to set. It took us all together five hours of driving to get to Sanjeeb's home which is in Gangtok, the capitol of Sikkim.

We drove through the darkness and it was like my son, Tenzin's video game of car racing.  Literally we were driving around sharp curves for over five hours. One side with mountain wall and the other side dropping down into what could not be seen except occasional glimpses of a river far below. On top of that Sanjeeb was weaving in and out of traffic. Very impressive I have to admit.

 Half way through we had left mainland India and entered Sikkim.  We had to stop at the border to get a permit to enter the state and get my passport stamped.

We arrived in the evening around 10 o'clock.  That night I had my first deep sleep and awoke only once for an hour.

It is so different here.  Even though the population of Gangtok is around 100,000 people and much like a little city, the nights are quiet.  The air is crisp and cool as the city itself is carved into the mountainside. The streets and walkways are very steep.  I feel a bit like a mountain goat or perhaps my own fantasized version of what a sherpa would be like, wandering the mountain tops.

I spent the day yesterday with Sanjeeb wandering through the city.  It is marvellous here.  There are little shops all along the streets and the walkways are well maintained. Immediately, I feel like a part of the culture. The people look a bit like me, perhaps because of my Mongolian ancestry through my Korean nationality.  It was amazing to me to look around and see people who look like me.  You can see the Tibetan, Nepalese, and Bhutanese melting pot here amidst the Sikkimese.  There are restaurants, touting such cuisines and shops selling wares from there as well as proudly displaying local artisans crafts.  It is the predominant feeling of Buddhism and Sikkim's national pride.  There are very few foreigners here. I think I only counted about three caucasions throughout my whole day.

There are number of things that I have learned in one day:


  • Sikkim became a part of India in 1975.  Although there is evidence of Indian culture here it is clear that the people are very proud to be Sikkimese.  I have come to the conclusion that even though Sikkim is a state of India, it still a country in itself.  
  • Sikkim is very similar if not the same as Bhutan and Nepal. The countryside is the same as they share the same mountain range.  The face of the people are the same across the board with the variety in the darkness in skin and the effect of Mongolian features.  I feel as though I have left India behind at the border. 
  • There is a convergence of religions here, Buddhism, Hinduism, and Muslims. But the main one is clearly Buddhism. You can see it in the effusion of Buddhist relics that is sold and displayed.  
  • Sikkim is the only organic state in India. And they are proud to keep it so.  They are adamant about raising animals without chemicals and antibiotics.  The produce is grown without chemical fertilizers or pesticides.  Almost all the food is obtained from local sources.  I ate an egg this morning that had an orange yolk!  And for dinner I had momos (dumplings) made with local chicken.  
  • The former king of Sikkim, Chogyal Thondup Namgyal had a beloved American wife, Hope Cooke.  I bought a book that tells all about that era and I am looking forward to reading it.  I believe it is because of this relationship that the people of Sikkim are very fond of Americans.  
I think this is more than enough to blog about in one post.  I have a lot more to share and will write it later today after I have processed my thoughts a bit.  

I will end with a very touching note.  Last night, Sanjeeb showed me the messages that Ming Liu had sent him about my coming.  This happened right before he had passed in late April as he wrote saying that he did not have much time and wouldn't be coming.  He told Sanjeeb about me and told him to take good care of me when I came.  I almost cried because it was like Ming is still watching over us.  He had the foresight to look ahead and make connections when he could.  It is because of these messages that my path has been forged and set before me.  Thank you Ming. It is clear that you are not forgotten and still dearly loved.  


My heart has been made wider and my eyes are clearer.  Life is truly beautiful.  It cannot be measured by materials but by the love we share.









No comments:

Post a Comment